Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dolbears Law: Determining Temperature using Crickets!

So I discovered this really cool website! It is actually more of a blog for outdoor survivalists. 
I've mainly been interested in learning how to make my own solar water still. I'm not entirely sure how my brain is still thinking at this hour, when it seems to turn to mush normally. It gives me added assurance that I still have some good cognition up there when I spend so much of the day describing things because I can't recall the word for them in conversation. 

It is called Dolbears Law. It is a formula used to help a person determine more of an estimation of the temperature outside. Of course it is not 100% accurate, and things such as bodies of water, dense forests can alter the temperature. 

It is T=50 + (N-40) / 4

T= temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
N= number of chirps per minute. 

Or more my lingo...

Count the number of chirps the cricket makes in 1 minute (60 seconds)
Subtract 40 from this number.
Divide the result by 4
Add 50.

Also in Celsius....
T=10+ (N-40) / 7

So this all works because crickets are cold blooded and we are warm-blooded. Other cold blooded animals don't typically make a noise that can be counted as well as crickets chirping. 
Crickets that are colder chirp less frequent than crickets that are warmer. 

I guess an oversight that I should mention is that the guy who discovered this his name was Amos Dolbear in the year 1898.  He was using a kind of crickets called Snowy Tree Crickets. So there is slight variation in accuracy depending on species of crickets you are using. 

I have no idea without further hunting what a snowy tree cricket looks like. So happy hunting on your next cricket expedition.


http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/find-the-temperature-using-crickets/ This is the blog I've been reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment